Monday, March 12, 2012

God's Hand and Feet




I have to say I have been guilty hundreds of times to just pass someone who is obviously in need.  What is most sad about that is I missed hundreds of opportunities to listen about their amazing lives.
Brian came home from work and told me that he stopped and talked to this real nice homeless guy.  Brian shared a few groceries with him that he had just picked up.  When he told Maddie she instantly said, "I want to spoil him Mom because the Bible says you should take care of others!"
So we made a bunch of sandwiches and goodies...grabbed some bottles of water and treats for his dogs.  We drove back and found him huddled up with the dogs and his tent and totes that he pulls all in a wagon behind his bike with a sign that read, "Homeless....looking for work!"  I could tell he was a bit embarrassed with the hand out.  As he reached in and grabbed out the dog biscuits for travel companions, he peeked in the bag and said, "Is that what I think it is?"  I thought he was excited about the bags of popcorn....but he pulled out the Bible that Brian packed for him. 
He then told us that the only book that he has is a teaching Bible and he dives into it EVERYDAY.  He was proud to share that he ministers to many other homeless people he comes across.  So hopefully that Bible will come into play in a lot of people's lives.  I know it as helped my husband to learn how God wants us to help each other....just like he showed me tonight.

1 John 3:17-18

17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

                            (Not his actual picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment