Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Now THAT'S what it's all about!!!!!

Have you heard someone say before, "I just don't ever hear God speaking to me"  or  "I can't see where God is doing anything to help me (or others)."    I just have to say to that .....are you stepping out in faith and starting the conversation????

My Dad called me about a month ago and told me that I was going to be his secretary on an event he wanted to do.  It's summer....I'm off work and the risk of sounding like a kid on summer break....I get a little bored if I'm not constantly moving.   So without hesitation I signed up and we began working on a Bikeathon to raise money for the Village of Hope in Guatemala.  This is a new special needs orphanage and feeding center that my sister and her husband, Amy and Todd Block and their very large family along with Dan and Christi Ucherek are starting in partnership with Lifesong for Orphans and Project Hopeful. 

So Dad and I began our "little" event planning.  We started by going around our little town of 3600 (I think) and asking for people's help, donations, time, money, advice.  The results have been CRAZY AMAZING!  The gifts...and I don't mean just $$$ but that's awesome too....have left me in AWE!  Without blinking we have people hop on board....donate without hesitation, want to partner because it's a wonderful cause and do WHATEVER is needed. 

I can just feel God smiling and saying....all you have to do is ask!  He's pushing us and urging us to use HIS people. 

One day last week I seriously was pooped out from talking (yes....those who know me know are shaking their heads and laughing I'm sure) but I really was done one day....ready to go home and relax when Dad said, "Oh let's just stop in this one last place."  I have to push myself at times (ok...most of the time) to keep up with my 74 year old father.    So I reluctantly went in this Ag business to hand out fliers for our bikeathon.  The young man at the counter began asking questions...he was very familiar with Lifesong for Orphans AND Project Hopeful which made me so happy because I usually have to explain the whole background!  He had heard about them because he and his wife are in the middle of adopting from Thailand!  It's been a long road for them....waiting for about 2 years now to bring their daughter home!  It was so heartwarming to hear his story.  Dad promised him that we would pray for their family....and I haven't forgotten to every day since!

We've had so many cool moments....like when a check out clerk at the grocery store had a sister that went to Guatemala last year!  Her excitement to share it with us was beautiful!  You could tell how much her sister had told her of the need there. 

I'm praying that God blesses the Village of Hope with this Bikeathon and not only this year but in all the years to come with making it an annual event.  But I know He has already blessed me with the VALUABLE time I have gotten to spend with my Dad....seeing his passion for orphans and his children and incorporating that with his love of bicycling!  I will not forget our conversations, jokes and all the heartfelt stories we have shared with each other and so many others.

So back to my original question.....are you hearing God????  


If not......Are you starting the conversation??????

If you are interested in joining the Bikeathon I copied the information below.  If you would like us to email you a registration form just leave me a comment with your email!   Please join us in praying for this event!

    Hop on For HOPE!!!!



Please join us for a Bikeathon to raise money for the Village of Hope a special needs orphanage in

 Guatemala. We have family that serves these amazing kids and they need your help to further their ministry. To find out more about how your efforts will help go to www.lifesongfororphans.org/orpCare/guat.
HELMETS REQUIRED


Date: Sat, August 4th 2012
Same day registration begins at 6:00 am. Must begin biking between 6:00 am and 8 am.

Cost: $20 for all participants over 18 years old. No refunds if rained out. ($20 fee waived if you get $100 in sponsors.) Free to participants under 18 years old but we ENCOURAGE you to fund raise and set a goal of $100 in sponsorship! You can raise more if you like...choose your own goal!!!!! Don't worry if you don't make the $100....every cent helps!
Place: First United Methodist Church, 201 N Chestnut St, Le Roy, IL 61752

2 comments:

  1. I totally had to laugh . . .

    In this post you said, "I can just feel God smiling and saying....all you have to do is ask! He's pushing us and urging us to use HIS people."


    Whereas in the next post you said, "I have not asked anyone for a dime....and I probably won't. "


    You just might have to ASK people to support you. Seriously. When you "share", they can nod their head and say, "I'll pray for you." When you ASK, they have to respond with a "yes" or "no".


    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww....see you caught me! It's much easier to ask for orphans but not as easy to ask for support for ourselves. I guess I have to look at it as all the same now. I can't serve them without the support! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete