Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'm Done Living in Fear!

I know we have all had those times in our lives that we have been so focused on what we were afraid of that we missed so many special moments.

When I went to Guatemala over 4 years ago, I had such a fear of flying that I literally spent a good 6 months before the trip worrying, freaking out, trying acupuncture, hypnotism, counseling, etc.   The time and energy I put into worrying was something I can never get back.  I could have used that time sharing with people about how we would be serving, praying for other's needs or helping real life problems.  I'm not saying that phobia's aren't real life....I'm just saying why did I spend so much time focusing on it. 



So....how did the flight actually go????  GREAT!!  It was a little bit of a rough start...of course because I've been telling myself my whole life that I have a fear of small spaces!  I got off and on the airplane like 5 times while the flight attendant looked at me like I was crazy (because I was...haha!)  The woman in front of me arm probably still has fingerprints embedded in it...haha...kind of kidding...kind of not.  Not sure if Raegan is still scarred from watching me fight my demons or if she is proud that I finally sat down and a peace came over me and I knew everything would be okay.  I often joke it was God (and Ativan!).

This year is much different for me.  I'm jumping back on that plane and heading to Guatemala this summer.  I think of the flight for a second then I push it out of my head (quote a little Scarlet O'Hare) and think about that tomorrow...or the day of the flight.  I remind myself that God embraced me that whole trip and where would I be if I had not experience that journey?

My question to you is....What is your fear that is holding you back from truly living the life that you were meant to live?

Funny story about how my minds works.  This morning....a beautiful Saturday morning....I grabbed my cup of coffee and went out on my patio to spend some time with God.  I sat down on a chair and faced the old garage that the farmer owns and is supposed to be tearing it down and I thought, "Well that's distracting and hard to concentrate on God's beauty!"  So then I switched chairs and was seeing the garbage can and the LP tank out of the corner of my eye....again was distracted.  So I closed my eyes and all I experienced was the sunlight on my face...the sounds of the wind and birds chirping and the warmth of sun....and I thought to myself..... When we take out all the distractions in this world and only allow ourselves to experience God there is nothing better.

The words from a hymn I sang as a child came to mind:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment