Friday, April 20, 2012

What are you cheering for????


I love this story Tom Shadyac......  a successful Hollywood director of movies like Bruce Almighty, Ace Ventura, Nutty Professor and Liar Liar......goes From Mansion to Mobile Home. 

 

 

He realized money and status wasn't buying happiness.  We've all heard this a million times BUT how many of you truly believe it?  I don't think we do....we talk about what we would do if we won the lottery....if I only had all my bills paid off....I need a bigger house to hold all my stuff.  We can't figure out why we are stressed, depressed, angry, confused....unhappy!  

It took me many years to slow down and ask myself...what's my passion?  What fulfills me?  What TRULY makes me happy?  And now I have the answer....serve others, help others, be there for others, invest in others.  God has shown me that I am NEVER fulfilled when I make it all about me.  I am ALWAYS happy when I make it about others. 

So when we all stop falling for the advertisements, the Hollywood endings, giving awards for actors, athletes and musicians instead of for teachers, missionaries and fireman?

What prompted me to blog this was that Brian and I were watching Ellen when she had Tom Shadyac on it speaking about his new documentary.  Ellen asked how people like us (who haven't given away everything) could be happy too?  He suggested by dancing....which the audience just did....and the crowd erupted in cheering!  Then he suggested serving.... nothing....dead silence.   Brian and I both noticed the difference.  Why the silence....hmmmm...I got my theory.  Hard to cheer for something you don't partake in.  

So I want to encourage you.  If you are struggling and just don't feel happy.  Find what you passion is for others.  Where could you serve?  How can you help? 

Luke 9:23

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

When God said this He wasn't just speaking to His disciples....He was speaking to us all.  So are you willing to deny yourself and take up what is weighing you down and follow Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment