Monday, May 6, 2013

Affirmation with Bigfoot.......Who's crazy now?

     Yep....I was told I was a little bit crazy again today!  (Man I wish I had a sponsor for every time I heard that!  haha.....sorry....had to throw in a little missionary humor there!)  I totally take it as a compliment though.  Anything you do in life that requires faith, usually looks a little unusual to people ....so Praise the Lord for crazy people!

     One of the big things that people think I'm crazy about is taking my kids to serve.....I just have to say.....Are ya SERIOUS??????  I'm thinking this is about the greatest gift I could give them.  Have you hung around many kids these days????   Do you watch TV?    Now....I work at the school and I have to say....I love all those children so much!  SERIOUSLY!  They are sweet, kind, considerate, they have HUGE hearts and they TRULY want to do nice things.  And they usually do!!!  So please don't think I'm slamming any body's children.    But if we had the chance to show them that the world is not revolving around them, their looks, their talents, their popularity.....DO IT.  Looks fade, talents only go so far and being popular is fun...but if we can show our kids how to make a huge impact in this world by feeding the hungry and loving the broken....THAT is something that they can truly feel good about.

     What sparked this randomness of thoughts was my son.... Mario.  Now....I'm not trying to pick on him....I could find a similar story with all of my kids like this.  He's tough and can take it though.  Ok....so he lost a library book probably in the beginning of the school year.  I found out in December and confronted him.  He was pretty much like, "Oh well....I looked and can't find it."  So I told him he had to pay for it.  He asked the librarian how much the book would be.  He came home proudly and said with a smirk, "It's only 3.25."  So when I confirmed that price with Mrs. Swigart she said it was only that much because they stopped publishing it in 1974!  So...it was basically irreplaceable.  And in case you were wondering it was "Track of Bigfoot" haha...of course it was...he's an 8th grade boy.  So Mrs. Swigart and I came up with a plan....quite a genius one I may add.... since we can't buy a new one then Mario should just rewrite it!!!  And only in Mrs. Swigart fashion....she thought if he could get a few snap shots that would awesome too!!!! 
So here we are.....it's May. He lost the book in the Fall!  He was told to write the book in December.  He began writing it and with his good fortune, I forgot about it for awhile.  But....as us good Mommas usually do....I finally remembered to ask if he finished it and turned it in.....to which he replied...."no"  (head hung).   So the last few weeks I have been hounding the boy just a little to get it done before the end of school.  He finished today!  

      What does this story have to do with my previous rant about taking my kids to serve others????    I'm glad you asked.....you see when Mario was done writing the book after losing the book and being hounded by his Mother to write the book for 5 months.  He actually asked me to write a "forward" in it like they do for "famous authors"................................. He wanted praise
 (Now my head is hung.)

    So as we live in a society of entitlement......where we all think we deserve praise even for correcting our own mistakes.........I'm going to teach my children to give and expect nothing in return except God's unending love

   Yep......crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment